Friday, August 12, 2005

Authors and Writing





Chris George at Sunday, August 7, Gazebo reading at LaGuardia Community Gardens, Greenwich Village. Photograph by Robert Schechter. Follow the link through the title for more on last Sunday's poetry reading and gathering.

I am going to use Bob's photograph of me on the flyleaf of my new book, which will be a bicentennial history of the St. Andrew's Society of Baltimore, tentatively titled Maryland's Scottish Heritage: The St. Andrew's Society of Baltimore, 1806–2006. I am meeting with Brian McNeill of the St. Andrew's Society this evening at the Thunder Grill in Union Station for a beer and some chile to discuss finalizing the book. Hopefully the book will be out in time for the Society's spring meeting in March.



I also have an article out in the September issue of Military History on "Militia Redeemed Before Baltimore" with a subcaption "After bungling their defense of Washington in August 1814, American militiamen showed their worth at North Point and Fort McHenry a month later."



One disappointment is that the planned September 16-18 performance of my musical "Jack--The Musical" written with composer Erik Sitbon has had to be cancelled. Nonetheless, I have War of 1812 talks planned for Fort McHenry's Star-Spangled Banner Weekend on the weekend of September 10-11 as well as a talk to give to a military group in Parkville on September 27. I should be able to sell more copies of Terror on the Chesapeake: The War of 1812 on the Bay and get more subscribers for The Journal of the War of 1812, and rope in more attendees for the Ninth National War of 1812 Symposium upcoming on October 8.

4 comments:

Lisa Cohen said...

Chris--sorry to hear of the cancellation of your musical. I hope it gets rescheduled soon.

best,
ljc

Christopher T. George said...

Hi Lisa

Thanks for your commiserations! We have some possibilities with people interested in doing it in England.

Chris

Sea Dream Studio said...

Nice photo, Chris... You look very... poet-y. Sorry about jack. Hope things work out across the pond.
take care~dale

Christopher T. George said...

Hello Dale

Nice to see you here. Yup that's me, poet-y to the bones. Actually though I was embarrassed when I received a high res version of the photo from Robert Schechter at the amount of dandruff on my shirt!!!! I must use the Selsun Blue more. This poet-y is flaky, falling apart. Sheesh. I wonder how much of me I left in Greenwich Village? Will they put up a memorial to me there one day? Like "George Washington slept here" it'll be instead "Poet Chris George shed here" -- there'll be literary tours, "Here's the site of the garden where Chris George read and shed. Now if we just walk down this way, Edgar Allan Poe lived in this house that is now incorporated int New York University. . ." :-)

Dale, I do thank you for your kind commiserations over the performances of "Jack" falling through in Charlotte, North Carolina. I was expecting at this time to be going to Charlotte to revise on the rehearsals of "Jack" but it was not to be. I never thought trying to launch a musical or play would be easy, but still. . .

All my best

Chris