Monday, May 08, 2006

Fuldrum Contest Winner

Hi everyone

Many congratulations to Lisa Cohen who is the winner of the fuldrum contest just ended on this blog.

Lisa's winning poem is as follows:

Stephen Biko;
Hope is a Lazarus, your murder
a resurrection, hatred's reflection.
You live.


Lisa explains, "I introduced my kids to Peter Gabriel's song 'Biko' and they wanted to know what it was about. It's hard to believe it's been nearly 20 years since his murder."

Congratulations also to the other entrants in the contest who write some very interesting fuldrums making my decision a very hard one.

As promised, Lisa has won a signed copy of the promo CD of the musical by songwriting partner, Erik Sitbon and myself, "Jack--The Musical" being performed in Charlotte, North Carolina, May 13 and 14 next (link through the title above).

Incidentally, the CD of the Charlotte production will be available shortly and details are below.


Photography by Rita AmirAhmadi

U.S.A. Premiere
Jack – The Musical
The Ripper Pursued


USA Premiere Cast Album to be released and on-sale the day of the first show (May 13, 2006)

Featuring the All-Star Cast of


Bryan Long as Thomas Dolan
Lauren Konen as Betsy Dolan
Jason Barney as Alfred Corner
Brooke Boling as Mary Kelly
Robert W. Haulbrook as “The Boss”
Micah McDade as George Lusk
Tara Farrar as Annie Chapman
John Troutman as Inspector Abberline
James Lane as Sir Charles Warren
Stefany Northcutt as Polly Nichols
Louis Webster as Young Thomas Dolan

and

Inga Draper, Matt Kenyon,
Jonathan McDonald, Melissa McRae,
and Caleb Newman

Book and Lyrics by

Christopher T. George and Erik Sitbon


Music by Eric Sitbon



Music Direction by Lauren Konen

Stage Direction by Elizabeth Peterson-Vita
Lighting Design by Rita AmirAhmadi

May 13 & 14, 2006

2:00 PM and 8:00 PM
Duke Power Theatre, Spirit Square
345 N. College Street, Charlotte, NC

On Sale Now!


Actors Scene Unseen (SEEN) presents its fully costumed and staged production of Jack – The Musical. In the autumn of 1888, the city of London was gripped with terror by a serial killer whose deeds have become legendary. Jack - The Musical tells the story of one possible conclusion to the enduring mystery of this most famous of unsolved cases. Jack - The Musical features the haunting music of Erik Sitbon and the evocative lyrics of Christopher T. George. After the Saturday performances (May 13, 2006), stay for a talk–back with the author and composer who will be attending the performances from Baltimore, Maryland, and France, respectively. These performances are live only and will not be broadcast.

4 comments:

Lisa Cohen said...

Chris--thank you so very much. As I said in my email to you, I was floored when you told me I won your contest. I really struggled with this piece and in the end debated whether or not to post it, since it felt unfinished. But I'm glad you liked it and I am planning to write a longer piece about Biko.

My kids knew so little about South Africa and the anti-aparthaid movement--it's not taught in the schools (at least not at the middle school level) and the song and the fuldrum gave me the opportunity to open a dialogue with them about it.

best regards,
ljc

ps--'break a leg' next weekend!

Christopher T. George said...

Hi Lisa

Thanks again for submitting your fuldrum which I greatly enjoyed, a very worthy winner. I am packaging up the CD and you should have it soon.

Thanks for telling us more about the background to the poem. I do encourage you to write a longer poem about Biko.

Thanks for the best wishes for the production of my show this coming weekend.

Chris

fjl said...

This is a lovely picture. At the long end of the night when our shadows extend comes the answer we never wanted. I used to imagine the witnesses we never heard standing in this way, waiting for the truth..or waiting in the shadows, 'holding on, holding on,'.. like I say on my blog.

I am hoisting you onto blogroll, taking a big chance on you. Give them something to talk about :-)

You all come over anyway, so I can't see it makes any difference!

Christopher T. George said...

Hi fjl

Many thanks for hoisting me onto your blogroll. I am honored! I am not sure how to get my blogroll up and running. Any hints to give me?

Thanks

Chris